Thursday, March 14, 2013

PUBLIC DISPLAY OF AUTISM





It's about half an hour past midnight and I'm working late for an online writing community, when I felt the long period of sitting taking its toll on my back. I decided to rest for a wee bit. As I contemplated about reclining on the bed, I couldn't help but stare at my Sophia's sleeping face. I lay down and embraced her for about five minutes then I started to sit up. My movement must have alerted her subconsciously, her left arm moved and snaked around my waist. Aww... does life get any better than this? God, I love this kid!


While still taking a break, I had been surfing for autism articles when I came across this poem. I immediately loved it, so I thought I might share it. It's something that would educate people on how to react when seeing an autistic child in public.


                Source: clinicallyclueless.blogspot.com via sophia on Pinterest





Public Display of Autism
A Poem by Tina Moreland



If he falls to the floor, kicking and screaming, because there’s no chicken nuggets, it’s just his way of coping. Be patient, you’ll get your turn to order.
If she bumps her head and starts to hit herself in the face, don’t stare, it’s her frustration. Mom will handle it, she sees it everyday.
If dad is cutting his child’s food, he’s not treating him like baby. He just doesn’t want his son to choke.
If she ignores your child on the playground, she’s not a brat. She’s just not good at social interaction. She would love to play with your child, she just doesn’t know how.
He may be too big to sit in the shopping cart, no, he’s not lazy. He wants to run around, but his mom needs to shop. She’s not up for chasing him today.
If she has to be carried out screaming, it’s probably because of a meltdown. Be helpful, open the door. Don’t just stare or whisper. No, it’s not because she didn’t get the toy she wanted. If it were only that simple.
Don’t talk to her like a child, unless she is one. Don’t yell, she’s not deaf. She may not talk, but she can understand.
No, it’s not bad parenting. Discipline won’t help.
This is autism, it’s his life. Don’t judge him, he’s not judging you.



                        Source: cafepress.com via sophia on Pinterest


I'm a mother of a child with autism, I know ignorant people exist. I see them everyday. They come in all shapes and sizes. They come in all levels of rudeness. Hopefully they can memorize this poem. Hopefully they don't stay ignorant, because children like my Sophia need to be treated with respect too. ♥





No comments:

Post a Comment

Something to say?